New Painting

Started this one a couple weeks back but haven’t had as much time to work on it as I would have liked. I’ve put in three real sessions or so at this point. This is a quasi dead-layer — I’m painting the first chromatic bits into a sap green and alizarine couche.

Image is cropped a bit and there’s a long, long way to go yet but I think you get a sense of what it could be.

Theo (dead layer)
Theo (dead layer)

On The Easel

Haven’t posted in a while. I do have a couple of paintings going but I’ve really only been working on the weekends lately. This one has a few sessions in though and wanted to share something.

Still rough and a long way to go yet. Not completely sure what I’m going to do with the background yet.

Julie (in progress)
Julie (in progress)

Self Portrait

Julie has been encouraging me to do a self portrait for a while now and I’ve resisted in the main. At the Academy they made us do a self portrait in every single painting class and most of the drawing classes as well. I suspect that they wanted to get it out of our system while we were students so we wouldn’t feel compelled to do them once we were out practicing art making in the real world. There’s more than enough navel-gazing and worthless selfies in the world without artist contributing to the collection.

That said there is some merit in an honest reflection of one’s self:

Jeremy_20151115

This is a project that I’ve been meaning to start for a while now but other projects have always seemed more important. I finally got a chance to start in on it this weekend. Then we got a blizzard Monday night and ended up with a rare snow-day yesterday. I hadn’t intended to work on this much more right away, but as everything else was still wet from the weekend I didn’t want to waste a free painting day so I set in on the first pass:

Jeremy_20151117

My first passes are starting to look more like second or third passes now, which really makes me happy. Really looking forward to see how far I can push this one now.

Leif and Tabby Update

I haven’t posted in a while, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been working. I got a couple of days work in on this double-portrait this past weekend. Hopefully I’ll get some more time in on it this weekend.

Leif and Tabby (in progress)
Leif and Tabby (in progress)

I’m pretty happy with the progress so far, I think it’s about ready to lay in the background. The biggest problem that I’m having so far is that the yellow background is making the purple shadow tones on Leif read as really, really purple. I had a similar issue with the portrait of Sarah but I think that was finally resolved so I’m confident this will get where it needs to go as well.

Weekend Update

Got a couple of good studio days in this weekend. Here’s the double portrait that I’m working on. Just finished off the imprimatura for both figures. Now the real work begins.

Leif and Tabby (cropped, in progress)
Leif and Tabby (cropped, in progress)

Spent most of the day Sunday working on this portrait of Tayrou. I’m really pleased with the progress on it so far, especially considering how early it is in the process still. Two or three more passes on the face and it should be on of my best portraits yet.

Tayrou (in progress)
Tayrou (in progress)

New Double-Portrait

Having an extra day off means I also got an extra day to work in the studio. This is a commissioned piece that I’m just starting on.

I think the interesting thing about this image is that you can see two distinct phases in the phases in the studio process. On the right is the wipeout after the initial linear placement of the figure. On the left is the first thin chromatic layer or imprimatura on top of the earlier wipeout.

Leif and Tabby (in progress)
Leif and Tabby (in progress)