Still plugging away on this portrait of Julie. It’s slow going but I’m making steady progress. Not sure about the background still. There was a bit of bookcase behind her in the reference and I kinda like it in general. Still want to do something more abstract but might play with those shapes while doing so.
I’ve been working on this most weekends, haven’t posted in a while though. There’s still a long way to go – haven’t decided yet on the background treatment and there’s a lot of detail in her sweater that I haven’t even attempted yet. I think the portrait is coming along though.
Another session in on this one. Getting more of the details in… still a very long way to go.
Haven’t posted in a while. I do have a couple of paintings going but I’ve really only been working on the weekends lately. This one has a few sessions in though and wanted to share something.
Still rough and a long way to go yet. Not completely sure what I’m going to do with the background yet.
I haven’t posted to the blog in a while…. I need to get some materials together to start a new batch of paintings.
I think this one may be done though. I’m pretty happy with it now and it passes the mirror-check. I want to let it sit for a bit though and look at it with fresh eyes. I worked on it two days this weekend so I’m feeling like I can’t even see it right now. Definitely close though.
Portrait of Megan
Oil on Panel
12″ x 18″
© 2016 Jeremy C. Sparks
Worked on the portrait of Megan again this weekend. Really wanted to finish it off… and it’s close. I corrected the drawing issue around the mouth, so I feel the smile feels a little more natural now. I’m happy with the background as well.
It’s just the clothing. The painting is telling me that it’s not done yet, that I can do something more with that portion of the image. I’m not quite sure how I’m going to proceed at this point. My gut-reaction is to glaze another color over the top and scumble the lights again; and maybe I’ll end up doing that but I need to let this one sit for a bit and think it over.
Got a partial day in on Sunday on this one of Jordyn. It’s still got a long way to go, but you can see the base layer for he scarf now. Just need to put in the time on this one at this point.
Spent Saturday working on this one. Mostly in the hair, but also some in the background and clothing. Just a few touch-ups on the face this time around.
It’s getting really close. I think there’s one drawing issue I still want to correct in the mouth and I’m not entirely happy yet with the background. I also think I need to bring some more complimentary colors into the clothing, it’s looking like a mono-chromatic blue study at this point. But there, it would help to have the background nailed down first so I know which colors will be good to embellish with.
Still… getting close.
I also worked oh the painting of Jordyn. Finally got into the scarf. No picture to share, but the fist pass is looking really good on that. Ht next phase will be to add in the pattern and then a final pass to get both parts working together. So still a long way to go on that one. I’ll try to grab a photo and upload that when I get a chance though.
Got quite a lot of work in on Saturday working on the portrait of Megan. I’m still trying to decide what to do with the background and the clothing needs a little more attention. Once those things are more resolved I can finish working on the hair. Maybe need one more pass on the face as well. Getting there though…
Here’s a detail shot. I’m pretty happy with the form modeling in general, but on the detail shot you can see there are some seams between the transitions that could still be more gracefully done. That’s the sort of thing I’ll be looking at on the next pass.
Technical note: you can really see the grid pattern from the gesso underneath the paint layer in this shot. Those ridges aren’t nearly as noticeable in person, but to shoot the painting and not lose the color information I need some pretty strong light. Unfortunately that also accentuates the texture of the support underneath the paint. (Also, it looks like I’ve managed to incorporate a couple of brush hairs into the paint substrate.)
I also spent some time working on the portrait of Jordyn. I really need to get in and start working on the scarf. I know that’s going to the part of the painting that’s going to take the longest to resolve and I’ve been putting it off too long. I feel like the portrait is starting to stand on it’s own though, and I have a plan for the hair so there’s really no excuse not to work on the scarf now…