More Indirect Painting

I mentioned in my previous post that I’ve got four paintings in progress at the moment. This is the one that I’ve been working on the longest, which is not necessarily to say that it’s the closest one to being finished. I knew going into it that this was going to be an endeavor; that’s half the reason that I asked Kayti to sit for me. There’s still a long way to go.

You may not be able to see a lot of change since the last update but a good portion of the time was spend determining how best to shift the background. I knew that I wanted it darker but that I also wanted to keep the reddish hue. When I started out it seemed obvious that I’d just glaze an alizarine crimson over the cadmium red that was serving as the base color. Thankfully I decided to try that with a small study first to ensure that it was going to end up the way that I wanted. Needless to say, it did not… but if I ever decide to do a still life featuring candied apples I’ll know how to proceed.

I was so positive that the alizarine was going to work that I hadn’t really considered any alternatives. So at this point I decided to punt. I painted a bunch of small squares on a page using the cadmium red and then when those were dry I glazed all different types of transparent colors over them to see what was going to work best for what I wanted. It was a good exercise and the clear winner was a transparent mauve color which yields a nice wine-red color when glazed over the cadmium red.

Heres’ the before…. (a bit blown out, sorry about that)

Kayti (in progress)
Kayti (in progress)

And the after… (much better photo)

Kayti (in progress)
Kayti (in progress)

Now I just need to keep plugging away. Just about everything is going to need at least one more pass to get things really dialed-in the way that I would like.

Leave a Reply