I’ve been wanting to start a new series of larger, more conceptual paintings. This is the first in what (I hope) will eventually be a series.
It’s 24″ x 36″, which makes the figure roughly life-size (maybe a tad larger).
Working this large means that I needed to change my studio process a bit. It’s been a while since I’ve worked with a grid but it seemed like the best way to proceed and still get a decent linear placement of the subject.
I’ve become more confident in my process over the last year. It’s scary initially to give up the comfort of knowing that you’ve got a tight, accurate drawing framework to support your paint layers.
But each painting I complete is showing me that I really only need a rough placement initially and just to trust that the process is giving me the opportunity to continually improve the accuracy. I’ve come to understand that it’s okay to have mistakes and drawing errors during the process… it’s just part of the process now. It’s not important that everything is resolved at the start of the painting, it’s important that everything is resolved at the completion.
Now that I’ve got a rough drawing on the support I was anxious to get some paint on the support but I did a small test and it turned out that the ground wasn’t fully ready to accept oil yet. I’m going to give it a few more days before I start putting paint on. Hopefully I’ll be able to dive in this weekend.